East Carolina University has populated this VIVO to enable the the discovery of our researchers, their expertise, and their research and creative products. VIVO is an open source semantic web application originally developed and implemented at Cornell. When installed and populated with content at an institution, it enables the discovery of research and scholarship across disciplines at that institution. VIVO supports browsing and a search function which returns faceted results for rapid retrieval of desired information. Content in any local VIVO installation may be maintained manually or brought into the database in automated ways from local systems of record, such as human resources, scholarships, grants, course, and faculty activity databases.
Participants in the VIVO network include institutions with local installations of VIVO or those with research discovery and profiling applications that can provide semantic web-compliant data. The information accessible through VIVO's search and browse capability will therefore reside and be controlled locally, within institutional VIVOs or other semantic web-compliant applications.
Ways that VIVO strengthens the mission of the university:
- • Encourages interdisciplinary collaboration
- • Supports the development of the libraries' collections that fit researchers’ needs
- • Boosts visibility of our campus's research reputation
- • Informs campus marketing efforts and grant funding initiatives
- • Makes industry connections
- • Aggregates data for web information initiatives and visualizations